Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cloth Diapers here we come!

We are starting our cloth diapering journey and I am so excited! When I was pregnant I thought that I would never consider using cloth because I didn't want to deal with the poopy stuff. But, it really doesn't bother me. And now, after all the research I have done, there is no way I can keep using disposables and be ok with it. The three main reasons I wanted to switch are: They are better for baby, better for the environment, and better for the wallet.

Better for baby

You know they put dioxin in disposable diapers? Dioxin is "extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process.  It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals.  It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S."

"Disposable diapers contain Tributyl-tin (TBT) - a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals."

"In May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers, and that prolonged use of disposable diapers will blunt or completely abolish the physiological testicular cooling mechanism important for normal spermatogenesis."

Better for the environment
"No one knows how long it takes for a disposable diaper to decompose, but it is estimated to be about 250-500 years, long after your children, grandchildren and great, great, great grandchildren will be gone."

"Disposable diapers generate sixty times more solid waste and use twenty times more raw materials, like crude oil and wood pulp.
The manufacture and use of disposable diapers amounts to 2.3 times more water wasted than cloth.
Over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby EACH YEAR."

Better for your wallet

It will cost you about $200 to $500 (depending on diaper style and brand) for the entire time your child is in diapers, if you use cloth.
It is estimated that the cost of disposables per child is $2000!
Also, you can either use the cloth diapers for your next child, or sell them for about 50% of what you paid! 
Sounds like a simple choice to me!



Right now I only have 3 diapers, but I have 6 more coming  Friday. I purchased the AI2 diapers so that I can reuse the cover/shell throughout the day and just change the insert. I thought this would be the best way to go so we don't have to spend too much. The inserts are about $5 each and the shells are about $15 each. Wish us luck!

(reference:Why choose cloth diapers? Real Diaper Assoc. Diaper Facts. Retrieved from:  http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php)

No comments:

Post a Comment